Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Beauty and the Beach

My niece, her daughter and four of their nearest and dearest friends are here in Sarasota on spring break. I have custody of the darling college girls - Kelsey, Kassie, and Heather.

They are, all three, OMG pretty and what fun it is to remember through their eyes what it is to be 19.

Siesta Beach on the Key is reknown as one of the top 5 beaches in the world: gorgeous white powdery sand, clear blue water from here to Texas, an excellent refreshment stand, volleyball nets, a play area for the children, umbrellas for rent, blue skies, white clouds, Calypso music and breaching dolphins.

It's all good.

But it's especially fun when the beach is peopled with hardbodies rather than our regular population of oldsters!

The father of my friend Terry Dussel Pratt had a place down here for a long time and he took many years' worth of hysterical film footage of, basically, old women bending over at the beach. It never failed to make me laugh even long before I, myself, became worthy fodder for his film footage.

(Try saying that really fast 5 times!?)

The truth is, Sarasota is a retirement town. Sure we have our fair share of families with children of all ages but if you're at the beach on a weekday what you're going to see are people over 65.

That's hardly ever pretty....

Spring break marks the exception that proves the rule.

From early March to mid-April our beach is young again and it is such a pleasure to see that. The nice thing is that almost everyone college age and younger is here visiting a relative so we don't get that wild thing going like they do in a lot of other spring break destination beaches. Kids can still hook up but when it's under the watchful eyes of grandparents or aunts and uncles, "lust", while present, remains somewhat refined. You can drink at Siesta but rarely do you see an obnoxious drunk. Bathing suits are tasteful and they remain not just ON but hooked and/or tied.

I'm really sorry for Tom that he's missing this. He did so enjoy a good ogle!

Let me just say this - Wish You Were Here!!

3 comments:

  1. Nice title, and nicely done post. Lots of good detail and humor. One correction (?) did you mean to say "uncles lust"? Hoping not! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point of information: I discovered that I can post comments on your blog as long as I use Safari as my browser. For some reason, Firefox can't display the code word that I need to type in in order to post a comment. Just in case anyone else has that problem... :) Safe travels, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you finally made it to the beach and got to spend time with the lovies generation 2 :) Oh to be one of the lovlies again!. . . I'm thinking of your beach right now.

    ReplyDelete