Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mighty Mites

We are a hockey family.

One of the first things Tom did when we started dating was take me down to the old Olympia Stadium in Detroit. Even then, 46 years ago, that section of Detroit was intimidating - at least to a princess from Grand Rapids. The lot we parked in was blocks from the entrance and half the streetlights were not functioning. Police cars buzzed by in swarms. Panhandlers begged for money as we ran the gauntlet to the doors.

Once inside though, it was magic! Lights, noise, music, carnival food smells... then the players took the ice. From our seats in the nosebleed section they looked like gladiators - warriors - and that wasn't far from the truth.

Minimal padding, no helmets, they flew at one another which was amazing to me because they were on ice!? I couldn't imagine being strong enough and graceful enough to fly from one end of the rink to the other, pound the Bad Guys as you passed them, AND move the puck into scoring contention. Plus, they were always sopping blood off the ice and - frankly - I have always liked a little blood in my sports.

An added perk was the popcorn. I never had better than they served at the old Olympia.

Now that I'm older and wiser I'm grateful that the league has demanded more safety precautions for the players; with my grandsons, I'm happy to see them well-padded, wearing helmets, blood-on-the-ice being a thing of the past.

Yup, Gret (named for the Great Gretzky!), is a Mite.

He just finished his first regular season. The Rangers from Berkley, MI, won, outright, their first tournament earlier this year and placed second within their division only yesterday!!

The trophy for "Runner-Up" was damned impressive. HUGH.

Two weeks from now they'll be in the state tournament and I'll be in MI then to see it! Can hardly wait!! I'll be the chubette with the big box of lotiony Puffs, you can bet on that. I'm sure there have been plenty of - I use the term loosely - Hockey Widows before me who've watched the game and cheered through tears but I can pretty well guarantee I'll make my mark as The Happiest Sad Grandma ever.

Go, Gret! Go, Rangers!!

2 comments: