Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Final Farewell

Have you ever tried to plan a party when you weren't sure how many guests were actually coming? That is today's dilemma at the house of Jude K.

Sunday will be the third and last official farewell to my dead husband, Tom. (I have to keep saying that, "dead", because part of my brain and all of my heart still doesn't really believe it could be true.)

Since we retired to Sarasota three and a half years ago there are six distinct categories of acquaintances any or all of whom might choose to take the opportunity of stopping by our house on Sunday from 2-5 sharing their regret at our loss:
1.) bridge players,
2.) tennis players,
3.) softball team members,
4.) relatives,
5.) other retired Lakeview High School teachers now living in Florida, and
6.) neighbors.

Perhaps I ought to have requested an RSVP?

In retrospect, that might've been a little brighter than what I actually did - just issuing blanket invitations to the above groups.

Now I'm in a situation in which somewhere between 20 and 200 people could show up at my door on Sunday and I have no real guidepost as to which it will be.

My father who art in heaven always counselled, "Expect the best but prepare for the worst." Which would be worse, having 20 mourners share food and drink enough for 200 or having 200 mourners share food and drink enough for 20?

Put in those terms the answer is simple - go with the 200, right?

I better stop writing and clean out the freezer in the garage. I'm going to need it to store appetizers.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm...I'd expect 200. Just going on how well loved Tom was....

    ReplyDelete