Saturday, April 11, 2009

3 Bunry

Easter is the stepchild of holidays on my calendar.

I'm torn knowing Christ's "rising" is cause for celebration but the agony of the cross can't be denied and tempers my joy.

Somehow, in my mind, the subject is just too serious to warrant silliness. How a bunny cavorting through town leaving colored eggs and jelly beans or ladies parading in fancy hats fit into the scenario of the Easter message does not compute with TWJ.

Christmas has Scrooge, Easter has me. Bah. Humbug, I say!

Every other holiday I go all out; no stone is left unturned celebrating Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween, Independence Day, birthdays - you name it. But I have to force myself to follow the conventions surrounding Easter.

Ham or lamb? For us the ham traditionally wins out even though no one particularly likes it and there's always a ton of it left over which, by Thursday, I'll toss in the garbage.

Even the candy choices at Easter are lousy; Peeps are sickeningly sweet, jelly beans all have an aftertaste of motor oil, speckled malted milk balls turn your teeth blue.

I love the look of the hugh baskets wrapped in colored cellophane sold at CVS, Walgreens, Target... but they never seem to have the things in them that kids I know actually want and are, therefore, simply a waste.

The best thing I ever did was hide plastic Easter eggs full of coins and money. That went over VERY large with my girls! But is that in the spirit of Easter? I don't think so.

None of it really makes sense to me. Christ and eggs? A tomb and chocolate bunnies??
A shroud and flowery hats???

Can somebody 'splain it to me, please?

One year I got each of my girls a pretty spun sugar egg with a 3-D scene inside. Period. No baskets, no eggs hidden with treats OR money. The Easter bunny left them a note telling them to have a Happy Easter but in writing it upside down and backwards (a hidden talent of mine!)it appeared the bunny signed off as "3 Bunry" instead of E. Bunny!? I'm pretty sure that's the year they stopped believing....

I tried after that to put a better face on celebrating the holiday but my heart was never in it. Still isn't. But at least now I don't have any children to disappoint so I consider that a coup of sorts.

I wish you all a Happy Easter however that translates in your home. May 3 Bunry never darken your door.

3 comments:

  1. FO likes ham, with cheese of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I almost hate to say this, but I'm totally with you. Remember how my mom would hide my basket and I wouldn't look for it? Hide eggs and I would refuse until I was finally bullied into it? Well I have the same feeling with my own kids. The process of hiding the eggs is tortuous to me. I got them each a book, a dvd and two treats for there basket this year. That's it. Then Maurine bought tons so it all looked excessive. At least I was only a small part of it. And they all, of course, had to drag me out of bed this morning to hunt for them. . . I'm the Easter Scrooge here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm thinking since Stan is traditionally a "jewish" name, you won't have to celebrate it once you meet him!!??

    ReplyDelete