Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Man on Bike

I've given up the search for a new coffeetable and end table for the living room; I've decided to keep the ones I have and paint them myself!

Why it took me this long to realize that was the answer to my dilemma I cannot fathom.

They're going to be wild and crazy!!

I'm going to paint them in the style I doodle. I let my pen find its own direction and draw freeform lines that intersect. When the basic shape is complete then I start shading, adding detail within the closed spaces until the whole space is filled with form and color.

What almost always happens is that, somehow, the freeform drawing suggests something "real" and that becomes the focus for the details.

Now that I've decided I can hardly wait to start!

I'll paint each table an antique shabby chic color that blends with the furniture and when that's dry I'll do each drawing in pencil on the tabletops. I think I want the whole entire flat space filled in with coordinating colors of acrylic paint; the legs and dowels I'll leave the basic color but will accent with repeated designs and colors I like from the tabletops.

This could take awhile....

But I think it will be so worth it!!

They'll each be totally unique. I'd call them art but that is in the eye of the beholder so let's not jump the gun.

When finished and covered with varnish I'll get glass tabletops for them. After all that effort I would hate to have them inadvertently ruined by ANOTHER artist's Crayola markers as they fill in color book pages on some rainy future day!??

This is going to be fun.

If only I had listened to the FO and Amy AND Beckie and could take pictures of the process then post them on the blog!???? That would be kind of cool. But it's not going to happen. The Widow Judy's technical skills are still sadly behind the times.

You can lead a horse to cut and paste but you can't make it commit the process to memory.

That's how you know you're 64!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm sure they will be lovely but what does all this have to do with "Man on Bike"???

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. "Man on Bike" was a particularly elaborate doodle I did years ago that the children mocked unmercifully but that I loved.

    ReplyDelete