Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bridge as Panacea

I played bridge this afternoon with three ladies from the Newcomers Club of Sarasota.

Although... none of us were really 'new'?? I think I've lived here the longest at almost four years but the other ladies had all been here three years themselves, at least.

I liked them! Yes, I can just say it with no equivocation. They were all within five-ish years of my own age, they were funny, they liked to laugh, they knew the Rules of Bridge better than I but they were happy to share and I learned a couple useful things over the three hours we were together.

They scored the games in a way I was totally unfamiliar with - Chicago style - but I don't care about the scores anyway so I was fine with that.

They are all retired and still have their husbands available in a worldly way as opposed to me; they were shocked to learn that Tom died just a few months ago and were sympathetic without being maudlin. I appreciate that.

We had fun playing together and I would definitely do it again. Anne got out her scheduling book and looked ahead to the next date: May 13. My eyes got misty and I said, "That would have been Tom's 66th birthday... but... yes, I can play that day."

Why not? It will keep me out of trouble.

Like baseball, there's no crying in bridge! That's three hours accounted for on May 13th.

Got any suggestions for the other twenty one?

2 comments:

  1. It's my Matthew's birthday that day..... I know he could take up at least 30 minutes chatting it up on the phone with you!!... or longer but I know you're not a big fan of the phone!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you aren't a fan of celebrating birthdays of the deceased! Do something with you littles that day and focus on celebrating life!
    xo

    ReplyDelete