Monday, April 27, 2009

The No-Alibi-Needed Cafe

I feel like Seinfeld giving good-intentioned but still possibly ruinous advice to the Pakistani.

Or not??

A new restaurant opened up in my neighborhood and I went in there for the first time today. It's called the "Alibi Cafe" so I assumed it was going to be another purposely just-short-of-seedy middle-aged bar/restaurant with the emphasis on bar.

I was HOPING it might be a good place to have a meal on the cheap once a week now that I'm a widow and have ceased planning for and preparing meals at home on a regular basis.

I was wrong on both counts.

It was a marvelous and stunning surprise!! The glass front was dark and made seeing into it before entering impossible; I was entirely perplexed when, stepping into the interior, I saw what I perceived to be a very classy high-end European cafe!!

There were four-count-'em-four high tables with four chairs at each and two lovely seating arrangements featuring sofas, extra wide club chairs and large coffee tables.
I believe there might have been three stools at the bar.

I didn't get it.

Who opens a restaurant from 9-9 with seating for 16, basically??

Then I got the menu and was even more confused. It had a few sandwiches, three kinds of flat bread pizzas, a few salads, a few desserts, lots of teas, coffee variations, beer and wine.

AHA! The light finally dawned. It's not about the Alibi... It's a true CAFE!! They don't want people to come there for a big meal, they want customers who'll come, sit, drink, talk, read, nosh and generally pass time as if they were on the Champs Elysee or the Via Venito.

I was entirely charmed.

But they're not on a chi chi cosmopolitan boulevard they're on Sawyer/Tuttle across from a nursing home in Sarasota, Florida.

What's wrong with this picture?

Suddenly, I was consumed with desire to see this establishment prosper. I don't know why... I have zero vested interest; it simply appealed to me through to my soul.

The owner is Bulgarian and the manager is too. I fear that after taking almost two years to finally open they have unfortunately misunderstood their American clientele and have no concept how to "sell themselves" to the community.

Now why I think I would have any better idea how to do that, I can't tell you. All I can say is, there's no other place of its kind in all of Sarasota and I didn't know until I walked in there today that it's EXACTLY the kind of place we desperately need.

It's unique in both concept and execution but their sign and their exterior does nothing to indicate the possibilities that lie behind those dark glass walls.

We are a city of artists, performers, educated seekers of knowledge and curmudgeons. We're political and religious. Life AND death are primary issues for most of us. We are opinionated and vocal. We care about our community. We all have a voice and want to be heard.

This venue provides the perfect environment; the question is, "How do you get people in the doors?"

It's crazy that my head is filled with ideas to Make That Happen. These people haven't asked me to nose into their business?? I'm not a restauranteur!? There's no reason in the world I should be butting in except that I can see myself and others slamming poetry there, discussing books, talking politics, religion, red tide, 2012, life and death....

Is it absurd that I've made a list of suggestions to give them, however unsolicited??
I'm pretty sure it IS but for whatever reason I need to do it or I'll never be able to forgive myself for not trying to encourage their success.

Do you think it's possible The Widow Judy may just have too much time on her hands?

1 comment: