Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's The Berrys

The countdown is on for my sister Toot and her "I saw you na-ked!" husband Dick to leave Sarasota and head home to their natural habitat below the crook of your left elbow on Cape Cod.

This is bad for me. Very very bad.

I am not generally a pathetic person. I pride myself on being a Big Girl able to take some knocks and bounce right back for more. But having my sister (and Dick!)here to lean on in my bereavement has meant more to me than most people and more importantly THEY could ever imagine.

The "Sister Connection" is a transcendent bond. It's as much about history as it is the present. We can speak volumes in a shorthand Gregg never imagined. For better or worse, no one on this earth knows me better than my sister.

I will truly and absolutely miss having her and Dick just a moment away from me.

My head knows all the reasons their departure is necessary and justifiable; but my open wound of a heart fears their going might be the straw that breaks my camel's back.

But do not fear. The Widow Judy will rally. The Widow Judy will suck it up. The Widow Judy will rationalize their leaving as Perfectly Acceptable because it absolutely is.

Little SISTER Judy, however, is not nearly so mature. She'll be the one crying in the bathtub.

Again.

1 comment:

  1. oh boo. I hope we will ALL be together in August in Mass. Won't that be wonderfully healing??? I am going. Hope everyone else does too. Zachary CAN'T wait. Crying in the bathtub. . . that reminds me of my post Crying at the bus stop. :)

    ReplyDelete